Water-based sealers are more environmentally friendly than solvent-based sealers, and they are easier to apply and clean up too.
While a water-based sealer gives all the comfort in sealing a paver surface, at the same time, keep in mind, there is a difference between choosing the ok water-based paver sealer and the best water-based paver sealer.
It takes effort and knowledge in choosing the top-notch water-based sealer depending on the several factors including –
- The paving types.
- The finish or look you expect.
- Its ability to penetrate the surface.
- Drying time.
- Price, etc.
As the market is saturated with different brands and models, it’s sometimes quite a daunting task to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Let me do the legwork for you.
In this write-up, I’m going to present 5 top-rated water-based paver sealers reviews for different paving types. Not to mention, I will be pointing out all the highs and lows of each of the items.
Let’s dive right in.
5 Best Water Based Paver Sealers Reviews in 2020
#1. Foundation Armor SX5000 WB Water-Based Paver Sealer Review
- Water based, breathable, low VOC, high solids Silane Siloxane sealer that can be used on unsealed interior and exterior, vertical and horizontal concrete, brick, pavers, flagstone, and slate.
- Approved by the Department of Transportation in several states as a penetrating concrete sealer for use on roadways and bridgedecks to reduce damage and deterioration caused by water absorption.
- Will maintain the natural, unsealed look and feel of the substrate. Won't leave behind a slippery surface film, won't change the look or color.
- Easy to apply with a pump sprayer! Two back-to-back coats will yield up to 7-10 years of protection!
- Contains up to 10X more active ingredients than competing products. Manufactured in the USA! No recycled or imported resins in our formulas!
- It’s a breeze to apply this sealer with a sprayer or roller.
- As it’s a water-based sealer, it’s safe to use near the gas furnace, cement birdbath, etc.
- This sealer can penetrate the surface deeply.
- It’s adequately expert in preventing moss and weed growth.
- The coverage is entirely satisfactory.
- Quick-drying time.
- Breathable, non-slippery, contains low VOC.
- It keeps the original color of the surface.
- Not harmful to the environment at all.
- It can be applied to various paving types.
- A comprehensive user manual comes with the package.
- It’s pretty cost-effective considering the price and coverage.
- SX5000 WB doesn’t work on asphalt.
- Not glossy.
Foundation Armor SX5000 WB works best on concrete, clay substrates, bricks, and stone.
This one is a penetrating silane siloxane sealer. The water beads quite well after rainfall to prove this sealer’s existence and efficiency in penetrating the surface.
When it’s about resisting pitting, cracking, and spalling, this very sealer gets the job done pretty well.
As SX5000 WB is a water-based sealer having thin concentration, it’s better to use a sprayer than a roller to get the optimum coverage.
The coverage this sealer offers is 175 square feet per gallon per coat. It could vary depending on the porosity of the surface, though.
Pro Tip 1: Prepare the surface perfectly before applying this sealer to get the best results.
Pro Tip 2: Apply at least two coatings to get the desired look.
Considering the price and coverage, this particular water-based sealer from Foundation Armor is undoubtedly one of the best bets. Foundation Armor is a USA based company, and they know what it takes to make a law compatible sealer maintaining the required quality.
#2. Dominator SG+ High Gloss Water-Based Paver Sealer Review
- WET LOOK, HIGH GLOSS: Give yourself the gift of outstanding curb appeal with the DOMINATOR SG+. It restores faded colors, gives off a high sheen, and improves the durability of your pavers or decorative concrete. Not intended for stone or clay pavers.
- PROTECT YOUR PAVER INVESTMENT: DOMINATOR SG+ is a breathable, film forming paver sealer that protects from oil stains, mold, mildew and other spills while providing incredible UV protection. DOMINATOR SG+ has low slip potential unlike most solvent based sealers.
- SOLVENT FREE: DOMINATOR SG+ provides the ultimate shine and color enhancement formula while also being solvent free and eco-friendly. Breathe easy while applying DOMINATOR SG+ since there are no foul odors. This makes for a seamless cleanup and application process.
- COVERAGE RATE: Your money goes farther with this product with our amazing coverage rate up to 400 square feet per gallon, per coat, and up to 5 years before resealing. You will save money and time by reducing maintenance when you seal with DOMINATOR SG+.
- EASY SPRAY ON APPLICATION: Sealing with DOMINATOR SG+ paver sealer is quick and easy using our application guide, that is included with every purchase, as well as our application videos. The product has an incredibly fast dry time between coats making it an easy one-day project, unlike most solvent based sealers.
- It gives excellent coverage compared to its competitors.
- An easy to understand application guide is included, and overall, it’s an effortless task to apply this sealer using a sprayer.
- Its ability to work as a joint stabilizer is quite amazing.
- This sealer enhances the surface color after drying.
- It restores the faded color effectively.
- Environment-friendly, contains very low VOC, UV-resistant, breathable, non-yellowing.
- No strong fumes or bad odor.
- You have the liberty to choose between two different sizes of jars.
- Highly cost-effective.
- Not an ideal option for applying on clay or stone surfaces.
- It’s a tad slippery before drying. Mixing an anti-slip additive would be wise.
- Slightly sticky on the hands. Wearing a pair of gloves would be a great idea during the application.
Dominator SG+ is another high-quality water-based paver sealer on my list that gives a wet look with high gloss after drying.
It works exceedingly well in protecting the surface from oil stain, and that makes it popular among the garage owners.
The amount of area it covers per gallon per coat is worth noting. It covers about 400 square feet per coat per gallon. That means, if you buy a 5-gallon container, it will cover about 2000 square feet in total for a coat.
However, depending on the surface’s porosity, the coverage can be as low as 1200 square feet in total for a coat per 5 gallons.
Pro Tip: Don’t forget to pressure wash the surface before applying. Two people would get the job done better and quicker. Someone should spray, and the other person should roll the surface to spread the sealer throughout the surface.
If performance and coverage are some of the major deceive factors, you should definitely give this sealer a whirl.
#3. Armor WB25 Water-Based High Gloss Paver Sealer Review
- Meets ASTM 1315 and ASTM C 309 standards
- Water based, low VOC, easy to apply with roller or sprayer.
- 5 gallons covers up to 500 square feet in two coats.
- Non-yellowing, UV resistant, won't yellow or peel.
- Can last for up to 2-5 years before the need to recoat.
- Equally effective for both interior and exterior surface sealing.
- Application is a straightforward job using a standard sprayer or roller.
- Easy to clean up.
- It dries relatively quickly and smoothly.
- No strong fumes or odors.
- You can apply this on both unsealed surfaces and previously sealed surfaces with a water-based acrylic sealer.
- It offers good coverage.
- Boasts low VOC, non-yellowing, UV-resistant, breathable.
- An easy instruction manual comes with the package.
- For the price point, you can’t go wrong with Armor WB25.
- It’s very adhesive/tacky.
- Not an ideal solution to apply on ceramic and porcelain tiles.
Armor WB25 water-based high gloss acrylic paver sealer is that is expert in curing and sealing different paving types, including concrete,
Once you apply this sealer, it might turn to something like purplish-blue color. It becomes clear once it dries, though.
It covers about 200 square feet per coat per gallon. That means if you buy this 5-gallon container, it will cover at least 1000 square feet in total for a single coat. You will want to put at least two coats to get the best results, though. In that case, it would cover approximately 500 square feet.
It dries fast, and you can allow foot traffic within 24 hours and vehicle traffic within 48 hours of drying.
Pro Tip 1: Pressure washes the surface before 24 hours of the application.
Pro Tip 2: Because of its sticky nature, I highly recommend wearing a pair of gloves during application.
This item’s price is quite reasonable to me as it’s worth every penny considering the performance.
If you are looking for a hassle-free solution with good coverage and protection, this one certainly deserves a try. You don’t have to worry about your pet and children while applying this solution.
#4. Armor WB15 Water-Based Acrylic Low Gloss Paver Sealer Review
- Low gloss water based acrylic concrete sealer.
- Can be used on interior or exterior, new or existing concrete or paver surfaces.
- Is UV resistant and won't yellow.
- Meets ASTM 1315 and ASTM C 309 standards.
- Breathable, low VOC. Easy to apply.
- You can instantly apply this sealer after installing the concrete paver—no need to wait for the concrete to be cured.
- It’s ideal for both interior and exterior usage.
- Good coverage.
- Rapid drying time to let you finish two coatings in a quick time.
- It prevents oil stain.
- A straightforward application process with a sprayer and a roller (to spread it throughout the surface).
- You can apply it on both a new unsealed surface and an already sealed surface.
- Low VOC, non-yellowing, UV-resistant.
- It works exceedingly well in preventing efflorescence, alkali, etc.
- It’s quite reasonably priced.
- It offers low gloss. This is not necessarily a downside, though.
- Not suitable for clay brick surfaces.
Foundation Armor WB15 is one of the best water paver sealers for curing and sealing. It gives a low gloss look. Once you install the concrete, you don’t have to wait for 3-4 days to let the concrete cure before applying the sealer. It’s because this sealer does the curing itself.
It works best for concrete surfaces. Preventing the oil stain is something this sealer is quite expert in doing. That’s the reason why you would want to apply this solution to seal the garage floor more than anything else.
It gives coverage of about 200 square feet per gallon per coat. That means if you buy this 5-gallon container and want to apply two coats, it will cover 500 square feet.
Pro Tip: The best way to apply this sealer is with a sprayer (keeping the mist setting), and spreading it with a roller.
Considering the price, performance, drying time, ease of use, and coverage, this particular low gloss water-based acrylic sealer is worth buying.
If you are expecting a high gloss finish, then better don’t go for this W15 model.
#5. Dominator Stone+ Water-Based Low Gloss Sealer Review
- Keep a clean, WET LOOK, LOW GLOSS FINISH and improve the LONGEVITY of your outdoor stone, clay pavers, faux stone and travertine; not to be used on submerged surfaces
- EASILY MAINTAIN your exterior surface with our incredible UV PROTECTION. The film forming sealer guards against spills, moisture, mold, mildew and stains
- BREATHE EASY when applying this sealer due to NO FOUL ODOR and LOW VOCs as so many reviews have noted
- Your money goes farther with this product! AMAZING COVERAGE RATE up to 1,000 square feet per gallon (typically one coat), and long lasting protection
- EASY SPRAY ON APPLICATION using our included Application Guide and available Application Videos
- This sealer restores faded colors and enhances the color of the paver surface.
- It shines in joint stabilizing.
- Excellent coverage.
- It can be applied on various surfaces, including clay brick, stone, etc.
- Easy application using sprayer and roller.
- Relatively faster drying time, and it dries pretty evenly.
- It doesn’t create any bad or strong odor.
- Environmentally friendly and contains low VOC.
- It’s UV-resistant, hence works perfectly for outdoor surfaces.
- Its ability to prevent weed, moss, mildew is worth cherishing. Kudos to its film-forming ability.
- Applying only a single coat will get the job done in most of the cases.
- The container is easy to store and handle.
- A comprehensive and pictorial application guide comes with every order.
- The price is on the higher side. With that said, the coverage is fantastic.
Dominator Stone+ is another quality water-based sealer that enhances the color of the paver surface. However, it doesn’t provide high gloss; it’s a low gloss sealer.
It covers 1000 square feet per gallon per coat, which I believe is quite a good coverage to consider it a highly cost-effective solution.
The coverage varies depending on the porosity and type of the surface, by the way.
If it’s a flagstone or bluestone surface, then the standard coverage ranges between 400-600 square feet per gallon per coat. On the other hand, if it’s clay or tile pavers, then it would cover up to 700-900 square feet per gallon per coat.
Pro Tip: Give more time for drying the indoor surfaces than the outdoor surfaces before allowing any foot traffic. For outdoor usage giving it 24 hours to dry is good enough.
Although this Dominator Stone+ costs more than the other sealers I’ve reviewed here, this item’s versatility is worth considering and the coverage it provides.
How to Choose the Top-rated Water-Based Paver Sealer?-Buying Guide
Not all the water-based paver sealers are ideal for all paving types.
Some work better on concrete, some on stone or brick. Similarly, some sealers don’t work well with certain paving types like clay brick, flagstone, etc.
Before buying a particular water-based sealer, make sure it works with the paver surface you are going to apply on.
Most of the paver sealers provide either high gloss or low gloss. Some provide semi-gloss.
Choose the product, depending on the final finish you are expecting.
Some solutions give a wet look finish; some are expert in bringing back the faded color, some keep the original colors as it is.
Keep all these facts into consideration before spending your money to purchase one.
Coverage is another crucial factor you should consider. It’s because if the coverage is not good, then it’s not going to be a cost-effective solution by any means.
Moreover, if you have to be certain about the area, you need to seal and purchase the sealer’s size accordingly based on its coverage.
The standard coverage of most of the high-quality sealer is 175 square feet per gallon per coat. Some offer even more coverage. It varies depending on the porosity of the solution too.
The sealer needs to penetrate the surface deep so that it works from below the surface. It’s essential to make the water beads up after rainfall and also to prevent weeds and moss’ growth.
Ease of Use and Clean Up
Typically, all the water-based sealers are easier to apply and clean up than the solvent-based sealers.
Still, make sure the one you are buying offers these benefits.
As the water-based sealers are thin, any standard sprayer should work to apply them and a roller to spread them evenly.
Quick Drying Time
As you will want to apply two coats to get the best results in most of the cases, the drying time between the coats needs to be fast.
Once you finish applying two coats, it shouldn’t take more than 24 hours to allow foot traffic, and 48 hours or at most 72 hours to allow vehicle traffic.
Once you apply the sealer, you won’t want to reseal it every year. It should last at least 2-3 years.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question #1. What is the best water-based paver sealer?
Answer: The best paver sealer varies depending on the paver surface type and the type finish you are looking for.
If you are looking for a high gloss finish, you should try either Dominator SG+ or Armor WB25.
If you are looking for a low gloss finish, Armor SX5000 WB, Dominator Stone+, Armor WB15 are some of the best choices.
Question #2. How to remove water-based paver sealer?
Answer: Removing the water-based sealer from the surface is a pretty straightforward job. It’s not as hard as removing the solvent-based sealer by any means.
First, use a roller to spread the stripper throughout the surface. Then wait for a day to let the stripper start working.
Once you see the stripper is bubbling up the old sealer, pressure washes the surface to remove the old sealer entirely.
You are done.
Question #3. How long to dry h&c Ultrapaver water-based natural paver sealer?
Answer: The H&C Ultrapaver water-based natural paver sealer starts drying after 1 hour of application. However, you should not allow heavy foot traffic before 24 hours and vehicle traffic before 72 to 96 hours of application. You can allow light foot traffic after 4 hours of drying time.
Question #4. What is the difference between water-based and solvent-based sealers?
Answer: Both water-based sealers and solvent-based sealers are used to seal the paver efficiently to get the desired protection from stain, weed, moss, flaking, cracking, wear, and tear, etc.
Both these two types of sealers are easy to apply, and most of them are suitable for indoor and outdoor applications.
Besides some similarities, they have some dissimilarities that are worth mentioning.
- Solvent-based sealers contain a higher percentage of VOC than water-based sealers.
- When it’s about strong fumes or odor, the solvent-based sealers produce it more than the water-based sealer. That’s you don’t have to wear a mask or gloves while applying the water-based sealer. The area doesn’t have to be ventilated well either.
- It’s easier to clean up the water-based sealers than the solvent-based sealers.
- Most of the cases, the solvent-based ones give a wet look finish, and the water-based ones provide a matte finish.
- For certain types of surfaces like concrete, the solvent-based sealers work way better than the water-based ones. It’s because the solvent-based ones are capable of producing a continuous protective film that is required to keep the concrete surface protected from wear and tear.
- Typically, all the solvent-based sealers are all-weather friendly. Whereas, the water-based ones are not cold-weather friendly.
When it’s about choosing the best water-based paver sealer, first decide on the paving type, then your desired finish, and then the coverage.
If you get an outstanding coverage, then Dominator Stone+ is second to none.
Check out the paving type each of the sealers works best on. I’ve mentioned that above against each of them.
#1. Best Brick Sealer Reviews in 2020: Our Top 5 Picks.
#2. Best Stamped Concrete Sealer Reviews and Buying Guide.
#3. Best Paver Sealers for a Wet Look: Reviews and Buyer’s Guide.
#4. Best Paver Sealer Natural Look Reviews: A Buyer’s Guide.
#5. Best Concrete Sealer Reviews and Buyer’s Guide.
#6. Best Marble Sealer Review with Buying Guide.
#7. Best Teak Sealer Reviews with Buying Guide: Top 5 Picks.