Last Updated on October 11, 2021 by Heenan
Choosing a high-quality concrete driveway sealer is not that hard. However, things can get quite overwhelming at times as the market is saturated with so many brands and models.
To help you out in selecting the perfect driveway sealer for your concrete driveway.
I’ve short-listed six highly recommended options by different real users.
When it’s about choosing the best bet for the driveway, you certainly need to consider the following aspects –
- Its coverage.
- Ease of application.
- Ability to protect the driveway from thawing, freezing, crack, oil stain, etc.
- Environmental-friendly or not, and many other product-specific features.
Keeping all those into consideration, I’ve prepared this concrete driveway sealer review mentioning all the highs and lows of every driveway sealer.
Without any further delay, let’s dive right in.
|Name||Brand||Type||Item Weight||Coverage||Drying time|
|EnduraSeal 100% Acrylic||EnduraCoat||Concrete Sealer||5 Gallon||Approximately 150-300 square feet per gallon||24 hours|
|Foundation Armor AR350||Foundation Armor||Film-forming||5 Gallon||Approximately 100 – 200 sq ft per gallon||24 hours|
|ToughCrete Concrete Sealer||Quest Chemicals||Concrete Sealer||1 Gallon||Approximately 600SqFt||24 hours|
|Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer||Black Diamond Stoneworks||Concrete Sealer||5 Gallon||Approximately 600- 1000 square feet per gallon||24 hours and more|
|DryWay Water-Repellent Concrete Sealer||RadonSeal||Concrete Sealer||5 Gallon||Indoor Poured Concrete: 1,000 – 1,250 sq. ft.|
Outdoor Poured Concrete: 750 – 1,000 sq. ft.
Concrete Blocks: 400 – 600 sq. ft.
Bricks & Pavers 600 – 750 sq. ft.
|Lithi-Tek 9500||Ghostshield||Penetrating Concrete Sealer||1 Gallon||Up to 1000 sq. ft||Depends on the weather|
Best Concrete Driveway Sealer Reviews
#1. EnduraSeal Wet Look Solvent-Based Concrete Driveway Sealer Review
- 100% pure acrylic, high...
- Produces a semi gloss "Wet...
- Highly durable for a fraction...
- Non-yellowing formula (Doesn't...
- Lower odor than most solvent...
- Easy to apply with a wide roller, no mess.
- It dries quickly.
- This driveway sealer lets the water beads up pretty efficiently.
- No fumes.
- It doesn’t leave any white residue.
- This concrete sealer boasts no-yellowing formula.
- It gives pretty standard coverage.
- The purchase includes an easy-to-understand instruction guide.
- Good customer support.
- Offer satisfaction warranty.
- Work superbly to prevent freeze-thaw damage.
- Highly recommended for your concrete driveways.
- The price could have been better. But the performance characteristics justify the bill for sure.
- A bit thicker than expected.
- It creates a slippery surface when wet. It dries fast, though.
- A bit of strong odor, but it goes away within 24 hours.
EnduraSeal Wet look solvent-based sealer is a semi-gloss acrylic sealant that is quite expert in bringing a shiny color to the driveway.
Besides concrete, you use it on some other surface type like flagstone.
It gives coverage of about 150-300 square feet per gallon, depending on the porosity of the area.
The new-look after applying this concrete driveway sealant should bring a lot of positive comments to you. Yes, the price is average, but it’s still worth giving it a try.
The company stands behind its customers with excellent after-sales support too.
Pro Tip 1: Preparing this driveway sealer and the surface well before applying is vital to get the best result. Many people don’t follow the instruction correctly and experience some bubbling after applying it.
Pro Tip 2: Better don’t use a sprayer to apply this sealant. A large paintbrush or roller is the ideal option to do this task.
#2. Armor AR350 Concrete Driveway Sealer Review
- The Armor AR350 is a...
- The Armor AR350 is...
- The Armor AR350 is...
- The Armor AR350 will help to...
- The Armor AR350 can last up to...
- It’s a breeze to apply this concrete sealer with a pump sprayer.
- You will get substantial coverage.
- It helps to bead up the water absorption perfectly.
- A concrete driveway gets a nice wet appearance once this sealer gets cured.
- Fast drying time.
- It’s breathable and offers low VOC.
- Non-yellowing and UV-resistant.
- Reasonable price.
- Excellent customer service by the company.
- Our prime pick for your concrete driveways.
- A bit slippery on the smooth surface. Adding some anti-slip will solve this problem, though.
- It produces strong fumes.
If you are looking for proven USA-made wet look solvent-based driveway sealers for concrete driveways, Armor AR350 won’t disappoint you. This company has been in the market for years now with a reputation and is known for its excellent customer service among its users.
This particular item is one of the top-rated concrete driveway sealers to me because of its ability to provide everything you need from a solvent-based sealer at an affordable price.
It’s environmentally friendly, too, penetrates the surface well, and offers good coverage. Moreover, you can use it on a previously sealed surface, too (the surface that was sealed with solvent-based acrylic sealer).
Pro Tip: Apply two coats to get the best results.
#3. ToughCrete Concrete Sealers for Concrete Driveway Review
- INDUSTRIAL GRADE CONCRETE...
- DON’T FALL VICTIM TO...
- PRESERVE YOUR PROPERTY AND...
- DEEP PENETRATING MICROEMULSION...
- Easy application process with any garden sprayer.
- Beginner-friendly sealant to help the DIYers do the job with ease.
- This penetrating sealer gives considerable coverage.
- Quick-drying time.
- Easy to carry, store, and handle during the application process.
- It’s quite durable (according to several real users’ statements).
- The chemical barrier prevents the growth of mold, weed, moss, etc.
- Supports multiple types of surfaces besides concrete.
- Excellent for parking structures, concrete driveways, and as well as asphalt driveways.
- Work perfectly to prevent freeze-thaw damage.
- The instruction manual is not too comprehensive.
ToughCrete concrete sealer is one of the heavy-duty concrete driveway sealers when it’s about penetrating the surface effectively.
The coverage it provides is worth mentioning. If you are not applying it on porous surfaces, you can expect coverage of 480 square feet per gallon per coat. Otherwise, it covers around 150-250 square feet on an average per gallon per coat.
As you can apply it on several other surface types, like, brick, birdbath, etc., you can utilize the remaining portion of the sealant to protect the other parts of your house along with the driveway.
The company is quite good at providing after-sales customer service.
#4. Black Diamond Stoneworks Sealant Review
- Multiple sizes are readily available for buying.
- Applicable on several surface types besides concrete surface.
- Very low odors.
- Dries relatively fast and clear.
- Straightforward to apply. You can either brush or spray or roll as per your preference.
- A little amount goes a long way.
- It gives the wet look just right without changing the color.
- Low VOC.
- The price is a bargain.
- Worked great for our concrete driveways and asphalt driveways.
- You can’t apply it on a previously sealed surface. You have to remove the previous sealer first to make it work properly.
- This is not ideal for applying on a blacktop driveway.
One of the most applauded aspects of this sealer is, you can apply it to several surfaces like masonry, brick, slate, patio, driveway, etc., and it won’t change the original color of the surface. It gives the desired wet look and does the sealing.
It’s a water-based sealer made in the USA following all those rules and regulations related to the environment.
This sealer dries relatively fast and doesn’t leave a white spot behind if you apply it properly.
#5. Dryway Water-Repellent Concrete Driveway Sealers Review
- Water-Based Silane & Siloxane...
- Non-Film Forming. Clear/Matte...
- Unbeatable Service Life. Up to...
- Excellent Water-Repellency....
- For Patios, Driveways, Pool...
- Applying this sealer is a breeze using a pump sprayer.
- It doesn’t change the original color of the surface after drying.
- The water-repellent attribute of this sealant is worth mentioning.
- Works excellent against salt damage and de-icing chemical reaction.
- Breathable and slip resistance. This makes it even easier to apply, environmentally friendly.
- It gives relatively high coverage per gallon. That makes it quite priceworthy, no doubt.
- It’s quite reasonably priced.
- It requires more drying time than some of the other items on my list.
- You might see it leaving whitish film if not applied correctly.
- It’s not paintable.
When it’s about applying a sealer that gives the top-most water repellent feature, this Dryway concrete sealer is one of the best penetrating siloxane & silane driveway sealers out there.
It keeps the natural look of the surface and gives all the meat and potatoes that you expect from a sealer.
Besides driveways, you can apply this sealer for the patio, like a garage floor sealer, wirehouse floor, pool decks, etc.
This item covers a substantial area per gallon. It covers about 150-200 square feet per gallon. However, you require more than one coating, preferably two.
Overall, it’s a quite cost-effective option to get the job done just right.
#6. Lithi-Tek 9500 Concrete Sealers Review
- An industrial-grade,...
- Prevents efflorescence
- Reduces hydrostatic pressure,...
- Increases concrete’s...
- Available in an industry first...
- Effortless to prepare and apply using a pump sprayer.
- This sealer gives remarkable coverage.
- You can apply the second coat within a few minutes.
- It’s quite an expert in giving protection from moisture, surface abrasion.
- An excellent water repellent sealer.
- Works great to prevent water damage.
- No smell dries clean and fast.
- It works without changing the original concrete color.
- A super cost-effective sealer.
- Not ideal for concrete block/cinder block, smooth surface, and colored concrete.
What attracts me most about this option is, if you mix 1 gallon of Lithi-Tek 9500 sealer with 5 gallons of water, it will become 5 gallons of concrete sealers. I believe this makes it highly cost-efficient without any doubt.
The coverage it gives is worth noting. It covers about 1000 square feet per gallon per coating. How? As I said, 1 gallon of sealer is enough to make 5 gallons (mixing with water). Those 5-gallons cover up to 1000 square feet.
Remember, although you can allow foot traffic after it dries. But better give it at least 3-4 days to get it fully cured before allowing vehicles.
Altogether, Lithi-Tek 9500 is one of the most convenient concrete driveway sealers considering the application, performance, coverage, price, etc.
What to Consider When Buying a Concrete Driveway Sealer
You must consider some of the following factors if you don’t want to pour the money down the drain.
Once you seal a surface, you don’t want to reseal it every six months or a year, right?
To get the desired longevity, you must choose some driveway sealer that is not cheap and lasts less than expected.
On the other hand, there is no point in buying high-priced ones if some inexpensive options give the same result.
In a nutshell, you have to go for the most cost-effective ones. All the above options are quite cost-effective.
Before buying any type of sealer, you must check its effectiveness on the surface you want to apply. So, don’t buy something that doesn’t work well on the concrete if you are looking for a concrete driveway sealer.
On top of that, you have to choose the best-performing one to get the best results. The coverage needs to be sufficient; it should dry fast, be environmental-friendly, and don’t leave any white spot if applied correctly, etc.
To achieve all these, consider buying from a reputed brand and try to read the reviews on the item first.
Different types of sealers provide a different level of gloss. First, you need to decide which one fits the best for your concrete driveway. You can choose from high gloss sealers to low gloss sealers. Some options give a wet look to the surface, and some give a natural finish.
Most of the silane/siloxane-based driveway sealers give a natural finish.
Ease of Application
Ease of application is another vital factor you have to take into consideration. Some sealer is ideal for applying using any tools like brush, spray, or roller. Some options are not suitable for spraying using the regular garden sprayer; you have to use a roller in that case.
Also, consider the drying time. For every sealant you buy, you have to give it a certain amount of time before you have any foot traffic and vehicles.
See if a single coat is enough to get to the desired outcome, or you need to apply the second coat.
What is the Difference Between Concrete Sealers and Epoxy?
There are some differences between concrete sealers and Epoxy. Let me describe them in brief.
What are Concrete Sealers?
Related Reading: Stamped Concrete Sealers Guide.
Most of the concrete sealers are typically either acrylic resin-based ones that we call surface sealers or silane/silicone-based that we call penetrating sealers.
Concrete sealers give basic protection. However, they are quite efficient in offering the surface ample water repellency, giving protection against freezing or thawing, preventing stains due to oil, mold, dirt, and protecting the surface from other corrosion.
What is Epoxy?
Epoxy, on the other hand, is technically another type of sealer but different than typically acrylic and silane-based ones. The chemical composition is different here. However, these are only surface sealers like the acrylic ones but stronger than the acrylic sealers.
Epoxy comes in different patterns and a variety of colors and provides every benefit like the concrete sealers but in a stronger way.
Concrete Sealers vs Epoxy
The first difference between these two types of sealers is the level of protection they give. The Epoxy is remarkably stronger than the acrylic sealers and gives super adhesion to the concrete substrate. If you apply Epoxy to the substrate, it will provide excellent abrasion resistance.
Epoxy is used where only surface protection is good enough. That’s why you will want to apply it on airports, retail stores, and other industrial floors.
On the contrary, the acrylic resin-based or the silane/siloxane product is the chart-topper for the house owners.
Epoxy costs higher than regular concrete sealers.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
Question #1. What is the best driveway sealer for concrete?
Answer: If you want me to select only one, I will go for EnduraSeal Wet Look Solvent-Based Concrete Driveway Sealer. With that said, all the other options I’ve listed above have all the abilities to be on your buying list.
Question #2. Should I seal my concrete driveway?
Answer: Yes, you should seal your concrete driveway for several reasons. It’s quite important to safeguard your investment, and that’s the core reason why you will want to invest in sealing the concrete driveway.
Sealing the concrete floors increases the durability of the surface by reducing the chances of potential damage, including water damages, UV rays damage, thawing, freezing, scratching, salt damage, hot tire marks, etc.
Moreover, sealing increases aesthetic beauty.
Question #3. Should I seal my concrete driveway after pressure washing?
Answer: Yes, it’s highly recommended to seal the concrete driveway after using the pressure washer. It helps to block the holes and keep the driveway from freezing and thawing. It also helps to prevent mold and mildew growth.
Question #4. What does a concrete floor sealer do?
Answer: Sealing concrete floors has several benefits. It’s not only about increasing the surface aesthetic but also protecting it from a lot of things like stains.
Some of the benefits include –
- Sealing keeps the floor free from mold. If you don’t seal a concrete floor, the moisture can easily play its role in growing mold and bacteria.
- It increases the durability of the floor. There is a huge difference between an unsealed floor and a sealed floor. A correctly sealed floor can last about 25-30 years (recoating might be needed).
- Sealing increases the aesthetic of the floor if you are opt-in for a gloss finish.
- It protects the floor from damaging too early, getting cracked or scratch marks.
- If you apply Epoxy, it will give protection from oil stains, grease marks, etc.
Question #5. How do you apply concrete floor sealer?
Answer: Applying a sealer to a concrete floor or a smooth floor involves some crucial steps. Let me tell you the steps in brief.
Step 1: First, move all the furniture and other items to another place in the house and keep them there for at least a week. It’s because the whole curing process of the sealing may take up to a week.
Step 2: Then, you have to wash the surface thoroughly. After washing, you have to let the surface dry enough before you start applying the sealant. All these will ensure better absorption of the sealer into the concrete floor.
Ideally, you should first remove the dirt using a broom. Then remove oil stain or other stubborn dirt if there is any. Finally, wash the surface using a concrete cleaner to prepare it better for the sealer.
After rinsing the cleaner off, give the surface at least 24 hours to dry perfectly.
Step 3: Fill the cracks, if any is applying a high-quality concrete crack sealer.
Step 4: Now, it’s time to choose the sealer correctly. It highly depends on the surface you are going to apply on.
If you are applying it on the house floor, then an acrylic sealer is good to go. Acrylic-based ones are easy to apply, but they don’t protect the floor against oil or grease as well as some other types of sealers.
That’s why, if you are planning to seal a garage floor, then better Epoxy sealers.
On the other hand, if you plan to seal a previously sealed surface, then choose a Polyurethane sealer. You can use Polyurethane on top of the Epoxy as a topcoat. One of the core benefits of Polyurethane is it doesn’t get yellowed over time like acrylic or Epoxy. It’s because these are more UV rays-resistant than the other types.
Step 5: Now, it’s time to apply the sealer on the surface. The applying process highly depends on the type of sealant you have chosen.
Better you read the instruction manual carefully. Every quality unit from a reputed brand comes with a comprehensive manual.
If you are going to apply Epoxy you have to mix two parts. If you apply an Acrylic-based sealer, then very likely, you have to apply two coatings.
Depending on the type, the application tool may vary. Typically, a spray, a roller, and a paintbrush will get the job done in most cases.
Step 6: After applying, give the surface enough time for curing. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation in this case. You may have to restrict the foot traffic for at least 2 days and vehicles for at least 3-4 days.
Question #6. How long do Concrete Sealers last?
Answer: The longevity of the concrete sealants varies depending on the quality of the product and how well you followed the application rules. If you install it correctly, it will last up to its expected longevity. Otherwise, you may see a deterioration of the surface within a year or so after installation.
Along with the above factors I’ve discussed above, the durability depends on the type of the sealant too.
Acrylic-based concrete sealants last about 1 to 5 years. Epoxy-based and Urethane-based sealants last about 5 to 10 years. Paint typically lasts 1-10 years, depending on the quality before peeling.
Question #7. Will a sealer make my concrete slippery?
Answer: Some driveway sealers make the concrete slippery when it’s in the curing process. Generally, you won’t want to allow any foot traffic for a certain period of time. But it’s important to use an anti-slip additive if you are sure that particular sealer is slippery.
Otherwise, it can cause injury when you apply it to the surface. Some concrete sealers become slippery when wet, even after getting cured. You can also use slip-resistant tape, which I believe is the best solution in some cases.
This is it!
I’m sure you are now quite aware of the facts you need to consider to choose the perfect concrete driveway sealer.
I’ve tried to cover different driveway sealers of different gloss levels. To me, EnduraSeal Wet Look Solvent-Based Concrete Driveway Sealer is the best overall solution. If you are looking for the most cost-effective one, then Lithi-Tek 9500 Penetrating is something you should give a try.
Make sure you didn’t miss out on the FAQ section.