Last Updated on May 11, 2021 by Heenan
Cinder blocks are common building material, and they can be used to create everything from the walls of your home to garden pathways.
However, if you want to protect them from the elements or stop weeds from growing in cracks, you must use a quality sealant.
Here is an overview of five of the best cinder block sealers on the market today and some criteria for picking which one is best for your needs.
One of the best ways to protect your cinder block from water infiltration and other damaging elements is by using a sealer.
Cinder blocks are often used in homes, buildings, or for any other project that requires a solid foundation.
It’s important to take care of them so they’ll last as long as possible.
Some people think that these blocks can be painted or treated but this will only cover up the problem rather than solve it.
There are plenty of good quality sealers out there though you need to make sure you are buying the right one.
Cinder blocks are a versatile building material that can be used for everything from exterior walls to interior shelving.
The problem with these blocks is that they tend to erode and crack over time, which can lead to water seeping in and permanently damaging the wall.
To avoid this issue, it’s important to seal the cinder block before using them on any home project.
A properly sealed block will last much longer than an unsealed one, so investing in a quality sealer now means you’ll have your block structure for years to come!
Things to consider before buying-
- Life expectancy
- Eco-friendly or not
Best Cinder Block Sealer Reviews
#1. Foundation Armor SX5000 Review
- Solvent based, breathable, low...
- Approved by the Department of...
- Will maintain the natural,...
- Easy to apply with a pump...
- This product ships FedEx...
- Dries faster than other coatings
- This coating is non-toxic and won’t make the surface slippery.
- It helps to prevent moss, weed growth, making it suitable for a variety of paving types!
- The instructions are very simple with illustrations so you can apply this product as needed (covering up 175 square feet per coat).
- This material will not fade or peel – even in direct sunlight – lasting from 7-10 years on most surfaces.
- UV stable
- Easy to apply
- Excellent value for the money
- Multiple colors are not available.
- This could be because it interacts with certain materials and left white spots on surfaces, as well as no water beads from running off of a surface treated by this sealer.
- It can also cause damage to rubber seals or hoses which would make it expensive for coverage if these needed repair already before painting over them.
Key Features and Benefits
Your concrete is exposed to the elements year after year. The sun, rain, and snow all take their toll on your home’s foundation.
What if there was a way to slow down the damage? A solution that could help protect against water intrusion while letting in moisture?
What about an easy-to-apply sealer that would last for years and not just months?
This penetrating concrete sealer has been tested at independent laboratories across the country.
It will penetrate deep into cracks and pores of cementitious substrates including but not limited to concrete, mortar, brick block, or stone masonry surfaces.
It forms a breathable membrane that allows surface water vapor transmission but prevents liquid water infiltration through capillary action or pressure differentials such as those caused by freeze-thaw cycles and hydrostatic pressure from flooding rains!
The DOT has approved this product for use as a penetrating sealer on roadways, bridges, and parking structures.
This is the most versatile concrete sealer you can buy! It’s water-based so it will not leave your surface sticky like other products!
You don’t have to be an expert to apply this product. Just spray it onto your surface and watch it penetrate deep into the pores of the concrete or asphalt before drying clear with no residue left behind.
There are very few products that can match the performance of our SX5000 solvent-based breathable low VOC high solids penetrating silane siloxane sealer.
If you want a great-looking finish that lasts years longer than traditional coatings then this is going to be one of your best options available on today’s market!
Concrete is a porous material and absorbs water like a sponge. This causes many problems such as efflorescence, hydrostatic pressure, spalling, cracking, and mold growth.
Most concrete sealers on the market are petroleum-based products that do not offer any real protection against water absorption or other common issues associated with concrete surfaces.
These sealers typically have very few active ingredients and only last for 1-2 years at best before you need to reapply them again.
SX5000 is an advanced penetrating silane siloxane formula designed to protect your concrete from moisture damage by blocking up to 95% of the water from entering your surface while also offering superior UV protection!
It will provide you with 7+ years of protection without needing to be reapplied! This product can be applied in one coat over most types of existing sealants including acrylics.
Most concrete sealers on the market are only a temporary fix at best. They don’t contain enough active materials to provide long-lasting protection against moisture penetration into the concrete surface they’re applied to. Even worse, some products can actually cause more harm than good by trapping moisture in after application!
SX5000 is an extremely effective penetrating sealer that’s been proven over decades of use by contractors across America.
This product contains up to 5X more active material than similar products currently available on the market for maximum protection against water absorption and deterioration caused by water infiltration into porous surfaces like concrete floors, sidewalks, or driveways!
It also protects from salt spray corrosion as well as air pollution caused by ozone gas.
#2. Siloxa-Tek 8500 Review
- An industrial-grade,...
- Resists deicing salt/chloride...
- Reduces water ingress,...
- Excellent water beading...
- Use on driveways, garages,...
- Nanotechnology-driven high-performance isooctyltriethoxysilane has a smaller molecular structure that allows for deeper penetration and increasing the waterproofing of concrete.
- Excellent waterproofing means it can penetrate deep within the concrete chemically reacting with its pores and capillaries to create a long-lasting hydrophobic surface, which beads water.
- The Easy-Seal treatment is a great way to increase the longevity of your concrete. It’s non-film forming and breathable, which means it won’t trap moisture while still letting water escape from beneath an applied sealant or coating without any adverse effects.
- This helps protect against abrasions that can lead to staining as well as alkali attack on outdoor surfaces like the parking lot at our facility in Dallas, TX.
- The Department of Transportation has approved this product because it meets or exceeds all DOT specifications.
- Improves durability, prevents the absorption of water and other substances dissolved in said water by capillaries, resists damage from freeze-thaw cycles and thermal cycling as well.
- This is the perfect sealant for any construction project. It has a low VOC, and it’s easy to use right out of the container with no mixing required!
- There are also excellent waterproofing properties that will really make your projects last longer than you expected or dreamed about before this awesome product came into play in our lives.
- Industrial-grade sealer means we can get away without doing all those harsh chemicals too–this stuff works like magic on just anything around here!”
- This product may not be for amateur DIYers.
- The instructions are a little confusing and they can seem to be too relative at times, so it might take you longer than expected to figure them out if this is your first time trying something like that.
- The drying time is a bit longer than expected.
Key Features and Benefits
Concrete sealing products that rely on silanes/siloxanes are not designed to be waterproof or impermeable; they only prevent small amounts of water from entering the substrate.
They do this by forming a thin film on the surface that allows some moisture to escape at a slower rate than if there were no sealer present.
Siloxa-Tek 8500 Sealer provides superior protection against deicing salts, chlorides, and other damaging chemicals while allowing for some evaporation through its structure.
It penetrates pores in concrete and masonry substrates where it remains active for years providing long-term protection against damage caused by freeze-thaw cycles as well as driving off any moisture attempting to seep into your home’s foundation or basement walls.
Concrete and masonry surfaces are constantly exposed to damaging conditions, such as water, moisture, or chlorides.
These elements cause the concrete to deteriorate over time in a process called efflorescence. Efflorescence causes unsightly staining on the surface of your concrete or masonry substrate.
Siloxa-Tek 8500 is an industrial-grade silane/siloxane that has been engineered for use in exterior applications where it will be exposed to salt spray from deicing materials and other sources of chloride exposure.
The penetration enhancer allows this sealer to penetrate deep into the pores of the concrete or masonry substrate while also providing excellent repellency against water and moisture intrusion from rainwater runoff as well as preventing further deterioration caused by chlorides allowing you to restore your concrete or masonry surface to its original beauty without having any ugly stains on it!
Concrete is porous and absorbs water, oil, dirt, and other substances from the air. This makes it susceptible to damage from moisture penetration.
Siloxa-Tek 8500 Sealer provides a protective coating that seals concrete against stains caused by oil, grease, or acid rain.
It can also be used as an anti-skid additive for driveways, pool decks, and industrial floors. The sealer penetrates deep into the pores of the concrete surface to prevent future staining while adding a high gloss finish with UV protection properties that provide long-lasting color retention without fading or chalking over time.
Apply Siloxa Tek 8500 Sealer in one coat using either a sprayer, roller brush, or paint pad applicator for best results on all types of surfaces including new construction (preferably within 30 days), polished marble/granite countertops (after installation).
#3. Best Paint for Cinder Block Basement Walls: Drylok 275 Review
- GUARANTEED to stop water -...
- Fully transferable 10 Year...
- Helps protect against radon...
- Low-odor formula complies with...
- Breathable film will not trap...
- The All-Purpose Interior/Exterior Paint from Miracle Coat is easy to use, valuable for money, and has great waterproofing qualities.
- It dries quickly and offers long-lasting protection against water damage caused by rain or pool accidents.
- The encapsulated polymer used in this paint creates a flexible barrier that will keep your home’s interior looking beautiful throughout the year!
- This coating can be applied on any type of exterior surface including wood, metal siding, or brick without fear of peeling up during inclement weather conditions like heavy winds and snowfalls – it resists all types of harsh elements!
- Moderate coverage (75 and 100 square feet per gallon)
- A bit expensive
Key Features and Benefits
Water damage is a common problem that can often be avoided with the right waterproofing product. Drylok Masonry Waterproofer is a water-based, breathable film designed to resist water penetration and vapor transfer through concrete block walls, brick veneer, or stone masonry.
If you’re not using the right waterproofing product for your project, you could end up with some serious problems down the road.
That’s why it’s so important to choose a formula that won’t trap moisture in your wall and allow mold to grow behind it over time.
Drylok Masonry Waterproofer has been tested on all types of masonry products and has proven effective against water penetration by resisting hydrostatic pressure (PSI).
This means your home will stay protected even when exposed to heavy rainfall or flooding conditions!
Plus, its low-odor formula complies with all current VOC requirements so there are no harsh odors during the application or after use.
Water damage can be devastating. It’s important to protect your home from water damage before it happens.
There are many ways to help prevent water damage, but not all of them work as well as they should. Water-based waterproofers don’t always do their job and masonry waterproofing products are messy, difficult to apply and take a long time to dry.
That’s why we recommended Drylok 275 Masonry Waterproofer with its patented breathable film technology that helps protect against vapor transfer while allowing moisture out so that your walls remain dry even after heavy rains or snowfall.
We recommended Drylok 275 Masonry Waterproofer because we wanted you to have the best protection possible for your home—even if it means risking everything else for you to get what you want most in life—peace of mind!
Waterproofing your home’s exterior is a great way to protect it against water damage, but traditional masonry waterproofers can be messy and hard to use.
Drylok 275 Masonry Waterproofer uses an advanced polymer technology that penetrates deep into the surface of brick or stone, forming a protective barrier on the inside while remaining invisible on the outside.
This means you won’t have to worry about painting or scraping off moldy coating after application.
It gives you peace of mind knowing your home will stay protected from moisture for years to come.
With Drylok 275 Masonry Waterproofer, there are no drips, runs, or messes – just clean results every time!
Plus, this water-based formula makes it easy for contractors and homeowners alike with its tintable white color and low odor level (VOC compliant) making it safe for indoor applications as well as outdoor projects like patios and driveways.
Water damage can be very costly, especially if it’s caused by a leak in your home’s foundation.
When you use Drylok 275 Masonry Waterproofer to waterproof your masonry and concrete surfaces, you’ll never have to worry about water damage again.
Drylok is a latex-based, water-repellent coating that protects against moisture penetration for up to two years.
This product dries clear and forms an invisible barrier on the surface of any masonry or concrete structure so that rainwater rolls off instead of soaking into the walls or floors and causing structural damage.
It is easy to apply with a garden sprayer or paintbrush, which makes it perfect for DIY projects around the house!
You won’t find another waterproofing solution as effective at such an affordable price anywhere else!
#4. Best Sealer for Cinder Block Basement Walls: Liquid Rubber
- PROTECTIVE FINISH FOR -...
- HIGHLY FLEXIBLE - Sealant...
- EASY TO APPLY - No mixing...
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY -...
- FOR A BULLETPROOF SYSTEM -...
- Eco-friendly – water-based, containing no solvents or VOCs.
- Safe for humans and pets.
- Perfect for both indoors and outdoors.
- Environmentally safe to use in the privacy of your own home as well as outside on plants–all without any harmful effects!
- Moderate coverage
- The consistency of this product is too thick.
- It’s not UV ray resistant and it tends to dry slowly, which means that you will have to wait several days before using your hand for anything else!
Key Features and Benefits
Water seepage and moisture penetration into basement walls, foundations, or the ground around your home can cause mold growth and rot.
The problem is that most sealants are not flexible enough to expand with the foundation as it expands and contracts due to temperature changes.
This causes cracks in the sealant which allows water to enter causing damage.
Liquid Rubber Concrete Foundation & Basement Sealant has a unique formula that is highly flexible allowing for expansion and contraction movement of your concrete foundation without cracking.
It also prevents water from entering through tiny cracks caused by foot traffic, lawnmowers, snowplows, etc.
Concrete and masonry foundations are subjected to many harsh elements. This causes cracks, leaks, and foundation failure.
There have been many products used for sealing concrete but they all have one thing in common; they fail because of adhesion issues.
The product will not adhere properly causing cracking or peeling off after a short period of time.
Its advanced technology called Liquid Rubber is a liquid rubberized coating that is applied directly over the surface you want to protect from water and other elements such as salt air, UV rays, mold/mildew growth, etc.
After applying this product your concrete will be protected for years!
Its formula does not contain any latexes so it can be applied on top of existing coatings without damaging them.
Concrete and masonry foundations are subject to water penetration, which leads to cracks and spalling. Water can also penetrate through the joints of a brick or stone wall, leading to the same problems as with concrete.
When you use Liquid Rubber Foundation Sealant for your foundation repair projects, you will be able to prevent these issues from occurring.
It is easy to apply and will not crack or peel like many other products on the market today.
By using this product in conjunction with our Brick & Stone Masonry Sealant for your walls, you can prevent moisture damage before it occurs!
This two-step process provides a complete solution for sealing gaps in masonry walls that lead outside as well as inside the home – keeping out insects, mold growth, and preventing interior condensation build-up.
Concrete foundation walls, basements, and crawlspaces are often subject to water damage.
Water seeps in through cracks or holes from above-ground sources such as rainwater, snowmelt runoff, and even plumbing leaks.
When water penetrates the concrete, it can cause mold growth which is hazardous for your health and home value.
The only way to effectively prevent moisture penetration into concrete foundations is with a sealant that adheres well to both wet surfaces like fresh concrete as well as dry surfaces like cured concrete.
Liquid Rubber’s unique formula makes it highly effective at bonding with both types of surface conditions
Liquid Rubber Foundation Sealant forms a permanent bond with the surface of your foundation while also providing an air barrier against future moisture intrusion by filling small voids between the wall studs sealed behind all common building materials including brick, siding, stucco, stone veneer, etc.…
It works on both new and old structures alike!
Pro Tip 1: Avoid being in direct sunlight when applying Liquid Rubber products, doing so will cause your pores to open up as well as make it difficult for the product to adhere properly – instead apply early morning or late evening.
Pro Tip 2: Do not mix any other materials with liquid rubber foundation sealant; this includes primers, moisturizers etcetera.
Pro Tip 3: Apply all surfaces coated until you use up the required amount of material (use more than 1 coat if necessary). Apply next coats immediately after previous ones have dried down completely but before 24 hours pass!
#5. Lithi-Tek 9500 Ultra Concentrate Review
- An industrial-grade,...
- Prevents efflorescence
- Reduces hydrostatic pressure,...
- Increases concrete’s...
- Available in an industry first...
- The 100% reactive hardeners will provide your concrete with water-resistant properties, prolonging the service life and preventing ASR attacks.
- The small molecular structure of these compounds allows for deep penetration that provides increased performance while also offering protection against organic growth such as mold or lichen.
- This formula is breathable without compromising durability, meaning it won’t trap moisture beneath its surface to create an environment where mildew can grow or efflorescence can develop.
- Its odorless and VOC-free formula penetrates deep into any substrate without changing its surface appearance.
- Waterproofing with this product will improve durability by preventing capillary uptake as well as give it a natural flat finish that resists ultra-violet radiation so there’s no need for a yellow or faded look when applied correctly!
- Super UV stable
- Not suitable for cinderblocks, bricks, and concrete blocks, smooth/polished concrete surfaces.
- Applying on colored concrete is not recommended.
Key Features and Benefits
Concrete is a beautiful and durable material that has been used for thousands of years.
Unfortunately, it can be vulnerable to damage from moisture, efflorescence, hydrostatic pressure, freeze-thaw cycles, and other factors.
The best way to protect concrete is with an industrial-grade sealer such as Lithi-Tek 9500 Ultra Concentrate – Penetrating Concrete Sealer, Waterproofer.
This penetrating sealant works by bonding to the surface of the concrete creating a protective membrane that prevents water vapor transmission into the substrate while also reducing abrasion wear on your floors or walls.
It even protects against freeze/thaw cycles!
If you want your concrete protected from all these different threats then this product is what you need!
It’s easy to apply using any standard pump sprayer or garden sprayer. Once applied it will make future maintenance much easier.
Concrete is a porous material. In fact, it’s the most porous building material on the planet.
That means concrete absorbs water and moisture from the air (and even from your shoes!) like a sponge.
And when that happens, you can end up with mold and mildew growth, damp or rotting wood framing members, as well as spalling of paint coatings and rusting of steel reinforcements in addition to structural damage
The good news is there are some things you can do to prevent these issues including sealing your concrete surfaces with an industrial-strength sealer such as Lithi-Tek 9500.
But if not applied correctly by someone who knows what they’re doing (or even worse – left unapplied entirely) then using this type of sealant will just be money down the drain.
Concrete sealers are messy and hard to apply. They can be difficult to remove from the concrete surface, leaving a residue that is unsightly and can pose a slip hazard.
Lithi-Tek 9500 is an easy-to-use, low odor concrete sealer that works great on most types of surfaces including driveways, patios, sidewalks, and garage floors.
It contains no VOCs or harsh chemicals so it won’t harm your family or pets when they come into contact with it.
This innovative product seals out moisture while protecting against stains caused by oil leaks and other contaminants.
It also protects from salt damage during the winter months as well as UV rays for up to 5 years!
Best of all it will not leave behind any harmful residues like other products you may have tried in the past.
Its non-staining formula means you don’t have to worry about getting this powerful solution on your clothes.
How to seal cinder block walls?
Step 1: You need to make sure your block’s walls are clean and free of any debris as this can impede the sealer from fully working.
A good way to do that is by sweeping with a stiff broom or vacuuming it off before applying the sealant.
Step 2: Now ventilate the area where you are going to seal.
Open all windows and doors to get a breeze going so you can avoid having your room turned into an oven in this humid weather, especially if you have pets or kids who will be running around inside during the application of sealant!
Place drop cloths for protection from overspray that might accumulate as well as any drips while sealing up cinder block walls.
Step 3: Apply the cinder block sealer with a paintbrush to all of your interior corners as well as all of your exterior perimeters where you have applied it, roughly 6 inches out from any corner or wall.
Follow this up by applying the sealant using a paint roller across the entire length and width of one side at least twice.
Step 4: If you want to work more quickly, cover the block wall with a sprayer.
Fill the reservoir of your machine with sealant and pump it up and down until pressure is built in the container.
Hold your nozzle roughly 12-18 inches from where you are painting or spraying on an even coat onto both sides of each brick for maximum coverage!
Step 5: Following the manufacturer’s directions is essential for optimum sealer application.
Factors like drying time and number of coats vary depending on which brand you are using, so make sure to follow those instructions precisely!
What is the best way to seal cinder block walls?
Grab some brush paint and cover the cinderblock wall with a thick coat.
Push it into any cracks or crevices you find between the blocks, then wait for at least 12 hours before applying another layer.
How to seal cinder block walls in the basement? How to waterproof cinder block basement walls?
If you need to repair and waterproof your cinder block walls in the basement, they must be clean and dry before getting started.
Scrape off any peeling paint or other gunk from the wall surface with a scraper or putty knife; sweep down for dirt and debris; then patch holes in the plasterboard using expanding hydraulic cement (allow this to set 24 hours).
Once all of these steps have been completed, apply additional coats as necessary until the desired thickness has been reached.
Where to Buy Liquid Rubber?
Buy liquid rubber wherever you can find it! More than likely, you’ll be able to buy Liquid Rubber from any major home improvement store in your areas such as Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart.
But other online websites carry the product too.
Amazon also often carries Liquid Rubber (I’ve seen it at my local warehouse distribution center checkout before) but I know for sure that Homedepot and eBay do typically sell it.
Harbor freight may also carry it since they’re a big discount hardware retailer but I have no idea what their personal experience with the quality of their product is like so I cannot comment on how well of a piece that would be!
The cinder block sealer is one of the most important products you can buy to protect your investment.
As with any product, there are good and bad brands out there so you must take a few extra minutes before pulling the trigger on an online purchase to make sure you’re getting what you need for the best price possible.
We hope our review has helped in this regard.
With this buying guide, you can make an informed decision on which sealer is best for your needs and budget.
We hope that the top 5 reviews have helped narrow down the options based on what’s most important to you.
Ultimately, it will be up to each customer as to how they want their cinder blocks sealed – whether with a wet or dry process of sealing.
We hope you’ve found this list of the best cinder block sealer reviews and buying guide helpful.
Our team is happy to answer any questions about our selections or help you find a product that meets your needs.
Please feel free to contact us or leave a comment below!