Looking to add some flair to your home and impress people? The right type of door can really add to a house, not just aesthetically but functionality wise too. You may have heard people discussing barn doors vs French doors.
What makes each of them so unique, and which one is better? There are so many questions. Well, don’t fear, for this article is here to answer all those questions. We’ll give you information on the two different doors and illustrate some of their uses.
Barn Door VS French Door
What Is a Barn Door?
If you visit the countryside or a farm, you might come across barns or houses fitted with barn doors. Basically, barn doors are sliding doors, i.e., you open them by sliding them away and not by pulling them.
They make use of a rail system attached to a wall that allows the doors to slide open or close. An interior or exterior header is needed to properly support the rail system and also the door.
Barn doors have three different styles. Single barn doors feature one door that slides left or right to open or close.
Double barn doors feature two doors that move in opposite directions to open. Bypass barn doors consist of two doors with one door sliding over the other. The first style is often commonly used in homes while the other two are seen in barns.
Related Reading: Top 5 Best Barn Door Hardware Kit for Cabinets.
- Barn doors take less space to open
- They are quite easy to install using a barn door hardware kit
- A wide variety of designs for barn doors are available
- Barn doors don’t require much maintenance
- They aren’t noise-proof as they must have a gap between the door and the ground
Best Barn Door
- NATURAL SPRUCE WOOD: Spruce wood surface texture is beautiful, the surface of the wood has a glossy feeling. It is good material with a delicate texture and natural fragrance, not easy to be rotten, but also has good toughness, flexibility, durability, sound insulation, heat insulation, and deodorization. Glue and paint coloring performance is good, not split when nailing.
- PACKAGE INCLUDED: All screws included along with pre-drilled screw holes wood panels and detailed instruction ensuring ease of assembly. (Sliding Door Hardware is not Included).
- DIMENSION: Width: 36", Height: 84", Thickness: 1 3/8", Solid core thick: 1/2". Door can be flipped in either direction. The bottom of the door had been a pre-made groove for the floor guide. / WEIGHT: 53lbs. (PACKAGE INCLUDED: All screws included along with pre-drilled screw holes wood panels and detailed instruction ensuring ease of assembly. (Sliding Door Hardware is not Included).
- EASY INSTALLATION: The barn door is pre-drilled and ready for installation. All wood panels are mitered for a snug fit. It makes it easy for construction and a vertical panel style wood barn door. The tools you need are screwdriver and hammer.
- DIY YOUR HOUSE: The SmartStandard solid wood barn door is a perfect match with your bedroom, dressing room, kitchen and locker room. You can also paint it in different colors you want to suit your home decor. Versatile Style!
What Is a Barn Door Used for?
Barn doors are versatile and can be used in many places, provided you can attach the rail system. One thing that might prevent you from making use of a barn door is whether the aesthetic matches your home or not. However, it should be noted that barn doors do have good design choices.
Kitchens often make use of chalkboard barn doors to hide pantries. Laundry, dining, and storage rooms can also make use of barn doors and are effective since barn doors save space. Office rooms also make use of barn doors for the same reason.
What Is a French Door?
French doors originated during the 17th century in France. Their design includes two doors with handles that allow the doors to be opened from the middle via either pulling or pushing.
The two doors open in opposite directions and then latch together. And the primary design consists of a wooden frame with glass panes inside the frame. French doors often feature very fine craftsmanship, and recent ones have more secure locking mechanisms.
If you want to make your house look classy, interior French doors are a great way to go about it. They can’t be fitted in every room since they take more space than the average door.
- Gives a house a very traditional and pleasing look
- The windowpanes allow for natural light to enter
- You can control the amount of wind entering the room with these doors
- They have secure locking mechanisms
- Installing French doors takes time and are more expensive
Best French Door
- ✔️ SET INCLUDES- 2 white doors 36x80 inches each with Clear glass, trims, pocket frames, door hangers, steel tracks, floor guides, stops, round pocket pulls, screws. All hardware included with the door. Door can swings when sliding since top and bottom of the door has no wood part - only glass.
- ✔️ SLIDING DOOR- Pocket door is the best solution to save space at home. Soft opening and reliable mechanism. This type of door doesn’t just save space - it can also solve problems, particularly in tight spots. For example, a pocket door might be used in a small half-bath that simply doesn’t have enough space for a door to swing in or out. There, use of a pocket door could eliminate the need for building an unnecessarily large bathroom or stealing space from an adjacent closet or similar area.
- ✔️ WOOD DOOR- Door made of solid pine wood and covered by eco-veneer. Pre-Finished, Eco Friendly, High Durability, Clean Ability & Quality, Stability Scratch & Stain Resistant
- ✔️ CUSTOM SIZE — Door can be trimmed on 3/4“ on top and bottom, on 3/4“ on left and right side as well. Pocket hardware for 2x6 wall can be provided per request
- ✔️ FULL RANGE OF HARDWARE- Every part can be customize on your desire. A lot of sizes and finishing are available. Please contact us to get a sample of door color. Hardware can be delivered separately.
What Is a French Door Used for?
Primarily French doors are used to provide a doorway to your house’s patio. Ideally, placing it near the patio is a good idea since it allows natural light to enter your room and keep it well lit during the day, saving you some money on electricity bills.
Similarly, you can also use French doors as a doorway to balconies for similar effects.
French doors can also be lined in a row across the length of a wall. This can be done in your dining room or living room to enable a great view of the outside if you want to. A more creative use can be to attach French doors in corners of a room to serve as a makeshift window.
Barn Door vs French Door: Which One Is Best?
People often compare barn doors and French doors and wonder which is better. Let’s see some comparisons first:
In regards to installation, barn doors are the easier ones to install. A barn door or pocket door hardware kit can easily help you install a barn door without much hassle. French doors take more space and so can’t be installed as easily.
You need to make sure there’s sufficient room or make enough room to install them, and the process is much longer. French doors also tend to be more expensive to install than barn doors.
Barn doors save more space than French doors and can be used in storage rooms and pantries. French doors require more space to open but also double as windows letting light and air enter if situated near a patio or balcony.
French doors are noise-proof or, in most cases, have great noise reduction. You won’t usually hear people on the other side of a French door. Barn doors usually don’t have that luxury as they have a gap at the bottom, which allows for sound to travel.
As you can see, the different doors have different uses and situations where they’re better. It’s best to understand them before hastily installing either one of them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FaQs)
Here we have the most commonly asked queries regarding the discussion between barn doors and French doors:
#1. Can a regular door be used as a barn door?
Answer: Yes, it can. You simply need to convert your door into a barn door. This can be done using a barn door hardware kit.
#2. Can any door be used as a pocket door?
Answer: It depends less on the door and more if the wall can accommodate it or not. Normally with the help of a pocket door hardware kit, you can convert a regular door into a pocket door, but the wall needs to be spacious enough for the door to slide into.
#3. What is the standard size for a French door?
Answer: The standard size is usually 80 inches by 36 inches though many manufacturers allow you to make custom sizes.
French doors and barn doors have different uses and very few areas where they overlap. You should take some time to consider the different advantages and functions of each offer before trying to install them.
A well-placed French door can improve the lighting and ventilation in your house, and a well-placed barn door can save you a lot of space.
Let us know in the comments how much you liked our barn door vs French door comparison guide.
How to Install an Exterior Sliding Barn Door: Step-by-step.